Updates

Now that we are back home, there will be fewer blog posts, but we will add to the photostream. There will be a video section coming soon, too, so stay tuned to the blog!

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Pilgrim Thoughts VI

The tomb garden and the Wailing Wall were very cathartic for me. I walked in the garden and I immediately thought of the song in the Garden... “I come to the garden alone while dew is still on the roses...” and it made me smile. I was so peaceful with the environment. This changed when we got to the tomb. I recently lost my stepfather and flew directly from the funeral to this pilgrimage. The tomb was a reminder of the loss for me and my family. I cried outside the tomb for my family. My fellow pilgrims gave me comfort. But I found joy when we had our worship. I started to identify with Mary Magdalene personally. The words of new life, new love, forgiveness, and joy in the prayer were uplifting. Then I remember once again the gift that Christ life was as we had communion. I am so grateful. I know my loved one loved the Lord and will be with him. Then when we got to the Wailing Wall, I left my daily concerns. I prayed and placed the requests of others on the wall. As a backed away from the wall I sang to myself “take your burdens to the Lord and leave them there.” I found another level of peace. God is a good!

Stacey McNeil


After morning worship today, we set out together to a site that many believe to have been the place of crucifixion (Golgotha) and the tomb in which Jesus was placed following his death. It was also the site that Mary visited and found the stone rolled away and was greeted by angels telling her that “He is not here; He is risen.” Set in a beautiful garden, pilgrim groups were worshiping in other languages accompanied by singing birds. We were blessed to celebrate communion on this site.

We moved from the Garden Tomb to the Western (Wailing) Wall where we participated with hundreds of others in prayer at the wall. The crevices and cracks in the wall were filled with prayers and we added our own requests on small bits of paper. How amazing to be adding our prayers to those of millions who have prayed at the wall, God’s people petitioning and praising God.

This was indeed a day of pilgrimage into the dark days before Easter and toward the Easter hope of resurrection!

--Barbara Hart

No comments:

Post a Comment